Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I survived the 1st

Day of SUMMER!!

Kids home, ALL DAY, fighting, giggling, running, wearing swimming suits, and being silly.

Am I going to survive the next 3 months?????

No, seriously, I am excited that school is over. I desperately needed a summer vacation. This last month has been non stop.

A whole 3 months of not having to be somewhere at a certain time. YEAH!!!!

So ALOT has gone one. Aniston had her last week as a 1st grader. She doesn't really look all that much different, but I can see a huge change in her.
(1st day of school)
She lost her 2 front teeth at Thanksgiving and then are just now coming in. She is more confident, she knows so many words, she reads everything in site, and she is a math whiz just like her dad.

I am so proud of her. During the 1st week of school, I noticed that she was having a hard time reading. I was upset, to say the least, I went in and talked with her teacher and she said that she noticed the same thing. Her teacher was fantastic. She said that she would test her again and then we could find her weaknesses and make a plan to work on it. I was thinking the worst, like dyslexia and blaming myself because I put her in Kindergarten early. Due to a late summer birthday, she could have waited one more year.

So we started working extra hard, everynight! We were reading together, doing sound exercises, and practicing phonics. Every parent teacher conference that we went to her teacher said she was just excelling. I could see such a difference. Her nose is constantly in a book now.

To make a long story short, there was an assembly for the kids during this last week. I had to be there for a PTO thing, because parents weren't invited to attend. She received a math award. They also give out a dedicated reader award to 5 students in each class and my beautiful Aniston was given one by her teacher.
I am SO proud!!
It was a great lesson to teach her that if you struggle at something, hard work and dedication will always pay off. I was so glad that I was there to see it. After all the complaining about PTO, this is one time that I was super happy to be on the committee.

On May 15th they had a little program for the 1st graders. It was so cute. They sang Disney songs.
I wanted to make the girls some little dresses that I had been thinking about for a while. They picked out their fabric. I thought that they were going to pick out different things, but they didn't. They wanted to be matching. (YEAH!! I love it)

(Emerson didn't think the program was that exciting)

We, as the PTO, had a carnival for the students on the last day of school. So last week, I spent most of my time planning, preparing, and cleaning-up a carnival. It was a lot of work, but the kids had a great time. My aweome mom came and took my girlies to the carnival, so that I could manage the food booth.

Last week was exhausting, so...

We spent the weekend relaxing. We didn't plan a project, we didn't clean or do laundry (which I am paying for now)

So in between this....

And during this...
We went FISHING!!
Wow, have I ever said that I love these little fishermen???

Well I do!!!
I have big plans for the summer. I think that I need to be a little un-plugged from the internet for the summer. I am not going to be updating this blog as often as I have been. We are going to swim, go to the summer reading program, go for walks, have picnics, and take a lot of pictures!!
This has got to be the longest post in my history. Sorry!!
I hope that everyone has a beautiful summer!!

4 comments:

Busy Bee Lauren said...

She looks a lot older! I am so proud of her and her reading skills! She is a doll!

Ashley said...

Isn't summer break the best! I love hanging out outside, swimming, going on walks, picnics outside, BBQs, and all of the other fun things of summer.

To answer your question... My Sister's Keeper is the same as the book. You must read the book first. It is so good. You'll probably be able to finish it in one day. I did. One of those classic "stay up 'til 3 in the morning" read-a-thons. It is so good.

Mindy said...

That skirt is sooo cute! And such a cutie wearing it too! You have some serious talent...I can't sew clothes for the life of me! Maybe I need a lesson:)

Dawn Rae said...

What a good mom you are! I am looking forward to summer break too! I was just going to answer the book question, but it looks like Ashley alredy did. I haven't read it, but read others by her and liked them so I might try it. Happy Summer!!